Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wikipedia Comparison

My first impression of Wikipedia in Simple English is that it is short and easy to read. I had a hard time picking a topic that was found on Wikipedia, which I thought would have been easy. The topic I picked to compare was Yosemite National Park. I love this park and used to take 7/8th graders backpacking there every summer before I moved here to Colorado. I've got a great story about almost being licked by a brown bear! Well, on Wikipedia(Simple English), it only talked breifly about its history and not in geologic terms which is it's most interesting attribute! In regular English there was much more information and tons more topics to read about. There was also a map showing its location right on the front page.
When searching Yosemite on Encyclopedia Britannica, my first impression was that there were obnoxious ads that slowed the loading time, which was very annoying. It was also much harder to navigate through, making it really hard just to find simple facts about my topic. It's also has more annoying pop ups, and to be honest, I really won't ever use that site again and don't even want to go back to it to finish evaluating it! All in all, I think I'm starting to like Wikipedia way more than I used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment